I just read the Two Writing Teachers Blog about relaxing and replenishing ourselves. It’s just a bit ironic that today happens to be a Snow Day! On these unexpected mini-breaks, I like to do little things that make me happy and feed my soul. Here’s my list of favorites…
1. Antique mall shopping. There is nothing that makes me happier than to stroll through the lettered aisles, with no awareness of time. My mind looks at the rows of old things and thinks creatively about all the ways I could repurpose them.
2. Read. I have four books going right now. One is fiction; a book that I heard about while reading my second book, Furious Love, the story of Richard Burton’s and Elizabeth Taylor’s love affair. The third is a book about the Holy Spirit in my life. And the fourth? A book that gives me snippets into the life of a literacy coach.
3. Organizing?? Yes, if I’m in the mood, I’ll attack a pile or a closet or a drawer and organize it. When I’m finished, it’s like a fresh start. During Christmas break, I went through my jewelry, which was a tangled mess. I traveled to my local antique mall and found two candy dishes, which are on my chest now, holding my earrings, necklaces, and bracelets, completely organized.
4. Cooking. I adore filling my home with the delicious aroma of baking dishes. My husband enjoys eating them!
5. Crafting. My latest project is distressing an armoir for an upstairs guest bedroom. What fun! It’s my first attempt at making a piece of furniture look old, and if I mess it up, who could tell?? I’m creating something that I can be pleased with and proud of.
What replenishes you? What happily fills your free moments, however sparse they may be?