Today, we are heading for a weekend getaway to Kansas City. I love the city where I grew up, and it’s a short jaunt to a weekend escape.
Of course, we have visited this lovely city many times, and each time we have a few places we just can’t miss.
- Cupinis’s – This small Italian restaurant first caught our attention on “Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives”. Homemade does make a difference and they do it up right. Homemade pasta and sauces melt in your mouth. We won’t leave empty-handed. Usually, we grab a couple of jars of their homemade marinara to use at home.
- Alamo Drafthouse – We love this downtown theater! Dinner is served as you watch the movie of your choice. The menu is great, and their bottomless bowl of buttered popcorn is to die for. We especially enjoy the unique pre-movie entertainment, which always has something to do with the main attraction. Not too far from our hotel, it’s a fun walk or a quick ride on the free trolley that runs downtown.
- Succotash – Tucked away in an old building not far from Children’s Mercy, this breakfast joint is just a short walk from our hotel. We try to arrive by 8am to beat the crowd. Their homemade juices and flavorful coffee are alone worth the visit. Their breakfast creations are truly unique and also warranted a visit from Guy Fieri.
- The Legends – This outdoor outlet mall in north Kansas City houses all our favorite stores. The back of our car fills with bags of goodies we just can’t pass up. An extra advantage are the steps we rack up as we walk around, which is a good thing since we will head to…
- Q39 – Located on 39th Street, this newly opened restaurant delights the tastebuds with their urban take on barbecue. My husband and I both agree we’ve never had better smoked meats. Ever. Especially tasty are their onion straws with barbecue aioli sauce and their twists on coleslaw and potato salad. My mouth is watering just remembering my last visit!